Hygiene in offices, warehouses, education facilities and commercial spaces is important for people’s well-being and work productivity. It also assists in maintaining a healthier food safety environment and enhance the attractiveness of the facility to employees, students and consumers.
Performing a comprehensive clean in commercial spaces, involving tasks such as wall cleaning, window cleaning, and overall decluttering to create tidier spaces, is challenging when office staff are present. With most staff out of the office during the holidays, it becomes an opportune time for that essential thorough clean-up.
Research shows that an average office desk is host to more than 10 million bacteria, surpassing standard toilet seats by 400 times. Elevator buttons, desk phones, water fountains, computer keyboards, and vending machine buttons also host high bacteria levels.
Whether your office is closed for weeks or days with a skeleton staff, the Covid-19 pandemic highlights the ongoing importance of rigorous cleaning protocols in offices, warehouses and other commercial spaces.
Nikki Gabisa, national operations director for cleaning at Servest, who provide personalised integrated facilities management solutions across multiple sectors, says the scope of commercial cleaning services includes different offerings.
“These range from narrowly specific and niche to broad, full-scale offerings, whether operating a restaurant, in need of keeping a busy kitchen clean; or managing an industrial park or an office block, utilising commercial cleaning services guarantees a hygienic work environment,” she says.
- In retail, rigorous cleaning practices are crucial. High footfall leads to gradual dirt build-up, posing a challenge for space owners to uphold strict hygiene. Yet, maintaining and cleaning retail spaces is critical for a positive shopping experience. The cleanliness level not only saves owners money, but also ensures a healthier premise for food safety, enhancing the appeal for both employees and consumers.
- In the hospitality sector, dust and dirt build-up in guest rooms and bathrooms, are sometimes overlooked in daily cleaning routines. Thorough cleaning is vital to maintain high standards, impacting customer satisfaction and boosting booking ratios.
- In healthcare, maintaining impeccable hygiene and clean facilities is crucial for patient well-being, faster recovery, and a healthy environment for both patients and healthcare professionals. Regular, thorough cleaning is particularly essential, given its direct impact on patient health and well-being. These practices play a vital role in reducing infection spread and combating antimicrobial resistance, ensuring healthcare professionals can focus on their primary goal of delivering optimal patient treatment.
- In industrial facilities like warehouses, a thorough site assessment is essential before implementing cleaning services. This ensures compliance with safety, health, and environmental standards, meeting the specific needs of the facility. A poorly maintained warehouse poses occupational hazards, elevating the risk of injury for colleagues, visitors, and customers using these facilities.
- In the education sector, maintaining cleanliness is crucial for facilities designed for children of all ages. Regular thorough cleaning is essential to address allergies and illnesses exacerbated by dust and dirt. Solenco South Africa reports that one in five children suffers from asthma, and 30% to 40% require medication for allergic rhinitis. Both conditions, triggered by dust, pollen, and mould, necessitate a consistent cleaning schedule. Deep cleaning during school breaks, in addition to daily routines, is vital to create a safe and welcoming environment for learners and educators.